Women in STEM Book Club
Join the conversation!
After having read a lot of books about women in STEM and related topics for my research in the last 6 years, I came up with the idea of a book club for women who study or work in a STEM environment. My goal is to bring STEM students and professionals together to share knowledge and experiences, network, and of course discuss a relevant book in a friendly atmosphere.
The first book discussed in January 2019, picked by me and the owner of the book shop that accommodated our meetings (Lighthouse Bookshop – Edinburgh, until March 2020), was Inferior by Angela Saini. The event was quickly sold out, which made the interest and need for such a club clear by the women of the local STEM community. It was followed by many successful gatherings that received fantastic feedback! Join us!
– Dr Athina Frantzana
The successful Women in STEM Book Club is now..online!
Books we have read and discussed
- Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That’s Rewriting the Story by Angela Saini
- Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech by Sara Wachter-Boettcher
- The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance – What Women Should Know by by Claire Shipman and Katty Kay
- Forgotten Women: The Scientists by Zing Tsjeng
- Testosterone Rex: Myths of Sex, Science, and Society by Cordelia Fine
- How to be a Smart Woman in STEM: #SCIENCE #TECHNOLOGY #ENGINEERING #MATH by Gabriela Mueller Mendoza
- Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet by Claire L. Evans
- The Glass Universe: How the Ladies of the Harvard Observatory Took the Measure of the Stars by Dava Sobel
- Zeros + Ones by Sadie Plant
- Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences by Cordelia Fine